Fall musical set to take stage next week

Makensie Frank, Staff Writer

With November comes falling leaves, cooling temperatures, more pumpkin spice, and the melodies of the musical “Big Fish” filling the halls.

Beginning on Thursday, Nov. 10, and running through Saturday, Nov. 12, the cast and crew will be working together to perform the 1988 novel-inspired musical.

“Big Fish” focuses on Edward Bloom, an ill 60-year-old salesman (played by senior Michael Murphy), his adult son Will (played by junior Isaac Flores) and his wife Sandra Bloom (played by junior Lillian Kaus).

In his past years, Edward has told many stories, with a vast majority of them seeming to be larger than life. His son, Will, doesn’t quite believe these tales and he’s growing up and preparing to become a father of his own, so he wants to find out which stories are true and which ones might not be. Eventually, the stories intersect to reveal a secret Edward has never told.

Vocal music teacher Brian J. White, one of the show’s co-directors, is a big fan of the show and thinks the musical version is better than the 2003 movie version which was directed by Tim Burton.

“The story is really nice and the music is fantastic,” White said. “It’s a very touching show, and in regards to a musical, it’s unlike any other musical I’ve ever seen with an ending I won’t spoil. Even when we run it in rehearsals, sometimes the cast members get teary-eyed at parts of it.”

The actors, actresses, choreographers and directors have been hard at work since Sept. 8, staying at least two hours after school every night to rehearse, coming in when they have downtime in the school day and browsing at thrift shops for the perfect props.

White said the journey to opening night is not an easy one, and everyone must rely on each other.

“If we have one person who just can’t memorize their lines, it impedes our progress,” White said. “But everyone has taken care of business; they’ve stuck to the schedule and the game plan that we’ve given them.”

Although many cast members have never performed before, White said being able to watch them grow is rewarding.

“The close knit extended family-type feel amongst our cast is enjoyable to see and be a part of,” White said.

Bringing everything together to make a complete puzzle is also a challenge, according to White, whether it’s the props, costumes or painting and installing rented backdrops. However, the audience is sure to enjoy the performance.

The curtains will open at 7 p.m. in the high school auditorium for all three shows, with ticket prices being $5 for students and $7 for adults. So mark your calendars, bring your tissues and roses and enjoy the show.