Seniors earn $1.4 million in scholarships

Ryan Villarreal, Staff Writer

Seniors were honored for their accomplishments at Awards Night on April 19 before a packed house in the auditorium. Guidance counselor Lisa Terrell said that the class earned $87,050 in local scholarships, up from the previous year. With the combination of regional and athletic scholarships, Terrell said the Class of 2017 earned almost $1.4 million in total.

At the start of the evening, valedictorians Caleb Brungardt, Peyton Capehart, Alayna Dooley, Anna Dutton, Tanner Hitchcock and Sydney Sprague were recognized for maintaining a 4.0 GPA. Salutatorians Rachel Mauk and Jessica Willmon were also honored.

Other notable feats included the Dale M. Dennis Excellence in Education Award to Peyton Capehart and the Male and Female Athletes of the Year to Tanner Hitchcock and Paige Krone.

Solomon Young and Shaunie Lanning were awarded with the KSHSAA Award of Excellence for exemplary sportsmanship.

Sayra Serrano received the KSHSAA Citizenship Award.

“It’s one of the biggest honors a student can receive, so I feel extremely grateful that my teachers chose me. I’ve had a tough few weeks and this award really brightened my mood. I hope I can take all of the great things I have learned at Bonner Springs High School into the next chapter of my life,” Serrano said.