The School Newspaper of Bonner Springs High School

Braves got talent

Senior to host October variety show for runaway teens as part of his Senior Project

September 29, 2017

Fresh off of his performance as Steve Harvey at the fall pep assembly, senior Omar Brantley will soon be hosting a variety show in the auditorium during Seminar on Oct. 19.

The show will consist of students performing and competing for a grand prize of $50 coming out of Brantley’s pocket.

The winner will then be decided by a panel of three staff judges.

Brantley is planning and hosting the show for his senior project to raise money for Robert’s House, a home for runaway kids

in Kansas City, Kan. He learned about the organization from a group called IJAC, which was introduced to him by School Resource Officer Anthony Davis.

“It takes these kids that run away,” Brantley said, “and while they’re at Robert’s House, they try to find them a home to go to or they try to talk it out with their parents.”

“I figured it would be the best way to raise money because they deserve so much.”

Brantley chose Robert’s House because he felt helping runaway kids is an important cause.

“I wanted to raise money for these kids in a way that I knew I could get some type of crowd to come,” Brantley said. “I know a lot of people like to watch people perform, so I figured it would be the best way to raise money.”

There are eight acts planned, including singing, dancing, and even stand-up comedy. Brantley has also considered doing a performance of his own.

“I might do a little something,” Brantley said. “I might outshine everybody, but that’s what I usually do.”

The price for admission is $3, but Brantley encourages students to donate more if they’re able to.

“If you were homeless and destitute and had nowhere to go, I’m sure you would want help too,” Brantley said.