Bonner Springs News

Common misconceptions on phones

Matthew Heck, Staff Writer

A lot of people use smartphones without know much about them. For example, almost everybody calls the lightning cable, a IPhone charger. The lighting cable is used for more devices other than IPhones.

Another huge misconception is comparing IPhones to Android. Android is an operating system owned by Google, while an IPhone is a physical object created by Apple. A more fair comparison would be comparing Android OS to IOS.

One more comparison could be a made, comparing an Android of equal value to the latest IPhone, such as Galaxy Note 8 vs IPhone 8 Plus. Using the latest Samsung flagship is the best option for comparing because they are the most popular and successful Android phones.

Another problem I have with people is that they or their parents spend hundreds of dollars on the newest smartphones and have no idea why it is better or different than their previous smartphone besides the obvious physical differences.

People usually have no idea what they want in a smartphone until they see it. An example of this would be the dual camera system that seems to have found its way on a most flagship phones nowadays.

The dual camera system provides faster autofocus as well as choice of the FOV (field of view). Although the concept of a smartphone having two cameras has been around for years, it recently has become popular.

People also think that if your phones is water-resistant, that means it is waterproof. If the phone does not have port covers that means you should not put it in any liquid other than water because the water will evaporate and leave residue in the ports and cause problems.

An example of this would be salt water. You cannot put a water-resistant phone in salt water because the salt will be left in the ports and cause them to malfunction. The water-resistant phones can only be in the water for a certain amount of time in a certain depth, depending on how water resistant the phone is.

Another problem people have with smartphones is the screens crack and shatter. The replacement parts for these screens has gotten a lot more expensive than it used to be. This is because of water resistance having the glass screen and the actual screen panel glued together. If you were to break the front glass, you would have to replace the panel behind it as well which usually costs quite a bit of money.

Most smartphone manufacturers have been using better technology in their smartphone screens than in most people’s televisions. A lot of smartphones utilize AMOLED (Active-Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode), which on the size of a television would cost thousands of dollars.

On a smartphone, though, it costs significantly less and makes smartphone screens look gorgeous. If you don’t know what the difference is between AMOLED and LCD (Liquid Crystal Display), AMOLED has the black color actually black by having the pixels themselves turn off.

The AMOLED display does not require a backlight or polarizing filters like the LCD display. The AMOLED display can still produce millions of colors just like the LCD display. 

This causes the screen to have high contrast and beautiful colors. The first time seeing a screen like this especially on a television can be surprising. Another cool feature that AMOLED displays can do is display information without having the whole display turned on.

There are a few downsides to AMOLED displays and the biggest would be the price. It has a higher price than other displays. However high end LCD displays can still cost quite a bit. Another downside to AMOLED would be the shorter lifespan and the colors can be slightly off.

Other than those few big misconceptions, another would be comparing the speed or performance of one smartphone to another. Basically to sum it all up, if you spend hundreds of dollars on your smartphone, chances are it can run everything just as well as another  expensive smartphone.

The same could be said for the camera. While there could be slight differences in the camera quality, they usually won’t make or break a flagship smartphone. Some cameras are better in certain areas than others but for the most part an expensive smartphone has a nice, expensive camera.

Comparing performance and cameras nowadays is a bit irrelevant and shouldn’t really be a problem like it used to be. Most smartphones also come with plenty of storage, if not than you could add additional storage via microSD card or cloud storage.

Those are the biggest misconceptions about smartphones in my opinion. However, there are still some things people don’t understand but aren’t as big of a deal. Those are just the ones that cause me some slight anger when people just don’t have a clue.