State-ranked athlete is on the road to state once again

Hunter Murphy, Staff Writer

“As returning state champion, I feel like there’s a target on my back because everyone wants to be the best and right now I am the best,””

— Junior Taner Hitchcock

Tanner Hitchcock // Wrestling

After winning state last year and being ranked first in 5A, junior Tanner Hitchcock looks to reclaim first place at state again this year.

Hitchcock has had a productive season so far, currently holding a 22-2 record.

Hitchcock has wrestled for most of his life and has dedicated a lot of time to his sport.

“I started going to high school practices ever since I was a toddler because my dad was the coach, so I just kept going and never stopped,” Hitchcock said.

Hitchcock said that when he is preparing to compete, he makes it a point to go in thinking he is the best so that he will perform at his best.

When asked about competing at 5A this year, Hitchcock seems unfazed.

“I think it’s the same as wrestling in 4A; I’m not worried about the switch,” Hitchcock said.

Hitchcock said that when going into the state tournament, he plans to work hard and have fun.

The hardest part about wrestling to Hitchcock is practice, but practice to him is where he becomes the best.

“Just put in the work,” he said. “If you want to be the best, you have to have good work ethic.”

With only a few weeks remaining until state, Hitchcock is locking in and focusing on reclaiming his title.

“As returning state champion, I feel like there’s a target on my back because everyone wants to be the best and right now I am the best,” Hitchcock said.