Athlete of the Week: Maggie Myers

Mercedes Madlock, Sports Writer

Maggie Myers is one of two seniors on the Braves Basketball team. She is a shooting guard/point guard and wears the number 3. Maggie is one of five starters and is essential to the team. She has been a part of the varsity squad since she was a freshman, but she recently has taken on a leadership role. She is the team captain and all of her teammates respect her and look to her for advice and guidance. 

When did you start playing basketball?

Maggie: I started playing basketball when I was 5, through the YMCA. 

What made you love the sport?

Maggie: The intensity and the adrenaline rush it brings. It’s never the same. Every play, every game is different and I just love it. 

When did you realize that this was the sport that you wanted to focus on?

Maggie: Growing up soccer was always my favorite sport, up until about 5th grade when I started playing competitive basketball and from there my love for the sport grew and I just knew this was the sport I wanted to put all my time into.  

How has COVID affected this season?

Maggie: COVID affected the season in a couple of ways. Wearing a mask while we played was difficult at first, but I got used to it. The biggest thing for me was the no fans. I definitely missed the band and orange crush being there. Overall I am just glad we got to play this season, and COVID didn’t take out our season completely.

What is one of your favorite memories from this season?

Maggie: My favorite memory from the season so far is probably when I Mahomes passed it from across the court into the hoop. That was pretty crazy and fun, but I have enjoyed every minute of the season so far.

What is your goal for the rest of the season?

Maggie: My goal for the rest of the season is to find ways to leave a mark, to leave this year knowing I left the girls with a culture that they will want to continue to build for the rest of their high school careers. 

What will you miss most about high school basketball?

Maggie:  I am going to miss my team, I have played a lot of my high school career with them and have made a lot of memories. They have been great teammates and coaches to me and I know that they are going to do great things in the years to come. 

Where do you want to go to college?

Maggie: As of right now I am undecided but stay tuned, decision coming soon.