Braves advance to championship round tonight

Payton Sechrist, Sports Editor

The squad started out strong, managing to keep their huge lead throughout the night to ultimately win the first-round regional contest. Senior Aaron McGee led the scoring with 19 points.

“Our intensity changed. We knew if we played aggressive in our defense then our offense could run away with the game,” senior guard Connor Byers said.

The game featured numerous highlights. The first came right before the end of the half when sophomore Caden Henley was at the free-throw line with 0.04 seconds left on the clock. Devante McGee tipped the ball into the basket to beat the halftime buzzer.

The second highlight came near the end of the game when sophomore Jamison Jackson put up a thunderous dunk that set the crowd wild.

“It’s like scoring a layup,” Jackson said. “I’ve been doing it since eighth grade. It feels exciting.”
Striet looks forward to the team’s next game tonight against St. James. The winner will advance to the Class 5A tournament in Topeka next week.

“We have to be focused and our ultimate goal is to have a hard-fought game,” Striet said. “I’m pretty confident that we will perform our best tonight.

The Braves have not played in the state tournament since 1997.

“I believe this is the year to win sub-state and go to state. Most people have always thought that Bonner isn’t that good at basketball, but we are making a dramatic growth,” Streit said.

Streit’s players are equally optimistic.

“I feel pretty confident,” Devante McGee ssaid. “I think we have a lot of speed and athleticism that will surprise them.”

“It’s a win or lose situation,” senior guard Connor Byers added. “The senior class has always dreamed about going to state since we started playing together in middle school. We have to play our type of basketball and enjoy the moment.”

The action will tip off at the PE center at 7 p.m.