The Little Mermaid Musical Review

Katelyn Fogelman, Staff Writer

On November 10-12 BSHS presented The Little Mermaid musical. With a talented cast and crew, the show was magical and I could not look away. Time flew as we saw Ariel’s adventure to becoming a human and meeting many new faces. The costumes, makeup, and set really helped to bring the image alive. My favorite moment was when Addison Lee as Ariel sang “Part of Your World” which gave me chills as well as Ethan Diaz as Eric improvised when there was a technical difficulty. I could not say more positive things about this production and I applaud everyone who was involved.

Addison Lee

Lee is a sophomore here at BSHS and was cast as Ariel in the musical. They have been a part of 10 productions both here at BSHS and elsewhere and say that The Little Mermaid is one of their favorites.

• How do you feel the musical went?
    • I thought the musical went really well. It was a lot of hard work and time but it ended up being a great show.
  • How do you think that you did?
    • I think I did relatively well in the show.
  • What was your favorite moment?
    • My favorite moment was the ending of opening night when we realized that we got through it and it went really well.
  • If someone were to ask you how to get involved in theater production what advice would you give?
    • A piece of advice is to go for it and make bold decisions. Theatre is a crazy and fun place and it’s going to be uncomfortable at first. Ask a lot of questions.
  • Is there anything else you would like to add?
    • The cast was amazing and the Directors were stellar. I couldn’t ask for a better team of people to work with.

Ethan Diaz

Diaz is a Senior at BSHS and was cast as Prince Eric. This is Diaz’s first production but hopefully not their last as the crowd definitely enjoyed their stage presence.

• How do you feel the musical went?
    • I think that the musical went much, much better than we could’ve expected.
  • How do you think that you did?
    • I think that I did my best, and I tried to give my best every single night.
  • What was your favorite moment?
    • I think my favorite moment was when the lights went out halfway through the show (Saturday), and we had to ad-lib during a part of it.
    • Getting involved in theatre involves going to tryouts and giving it your best because I was terrified when I first went in but came out of it more confident than before
  • Is there anything else you would like to add
    • I would like to say that we should have more people in the theatre because it’s a valued work of art and a beautiful performance at the end of the day, and we need more people to make this possible.

Blaize Fehlhafer

Another senior at BSHS Fehlhafer was wonderfully cast to play Grisby and have been a part of the theater since their junior year.

• How do you feel the musical went?
    • I think the musical did really well this is one of the biggest productions we have ever had.
  • How do you think that you did?
    • I think I did really well a lot of people were able to recognize me as Grimsby.
  • What was your favorite moment?
    • I loved the song If Only with Ariel, Triton, Sebastian, and Eric I loved that song and it was really well done.
    • I would strongly encourage anyone who has any interest because this has become one of my favorite parts of high school and I wish I would have joined sooner.

Phoenix Schembs

Schembs is a Senior who was part of the crew and was in charge of sound and lights. Schembs is a veteran crew member, being part of the theater department here at BSHS since their freshman year.

• How do you feel the musical went?
    • I feel that The Little Mermaid went really well from the crew and technical side of things.
  • How do you think that you did?
    • The sound and lights were focused and ready for the next cue (between dance and song break).
  • What was your favorite moment?
    • My favorite moment in the production was right before each show when the seniors would give speeches. I can wholeheartedly say that when I gave my speech there was not a single dry eye in the room
    • I don’t really have any advice for those looking to be in the cast, but as someone who’s been in every theater production, I can say confidence and willingness to put in the work are two key things we would look for when casting crew.
    • I would like to add the fact that we didn’t have one rehearsal that had everyone attend because of the flu, and we still slayed it out on stage!

Alexander Chairez

Chairez is a senior and veteran when it comes to BSHS musicals being part of every musical. Chairez was cast as Chef Louis and a couple of background characters.

• How do you feel the musical went?
    • I think the musical went really well. It was very stressful because it is such a big production, but I’m proud of how it turned out.
  • How do you think that you did?
    • I did very well myself, I got many people saying they loved my scene and song.
  • What was your favorite moment?
    • My favorite moment is the chase scene, it’s just really fun to chase Simone with a knife and they chase me with their claws.
    • My advice to join is just to do it and not think about it. Be confident and bold and never make yourself smaller when on stage.
    • I want to add just how happy and proud I am of the cast, it would not have been as fun without them