Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

Image credit: Nomadtinyhomes.com
All About the Tiny House Movement
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

Tiny houses, which are houses that typically have a square footage of 400 square feet or less, have exploded in popularity in recent years, and...

Madden Rauschs view of the game.
Kansas City Sports Fan Review:
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

As some of you know, I was able to have the opportunity to see Sporting Kansas City play at Arrowhead Stadium against Inter Miami. I must say,...

The Unseen Perspective cover photo. Credit: Mara Jane/The Unseen Perspective
The Unseen Perspective
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024

Mara Jane is a senior at St. James Academy in Lenexa. She will be majoring in Biochemistry at K-State starting in the fall of 2024. She recently...

American Gangster (2007) - Organized Crime Beyond the Mafia
April 22, 2024

(Content warning for discussions of organized crime, drug trafficking, substance abuse, and racism.) With dozens of iconic films in its...

Women’s World Cup Recap

Image credit: Jose Breton/ hollywoodreporter.com

This past weekend, Sunday, August 20th, concluded the 2023 Women’s World Cup (WWC). The ninth edition of this soccer event ran for a whole month, starting on July 20th. The tournament was hosted by Australia and New Zealand, the first-ever joint host countries. It was also the first time the WWC took place in the Southern Hemisphere.

32 country teams participated this year, with eight new countries getting their time to shine and a chance to win. Those first-timers were: from Haiti, Morocco, Panama, the Philippines, Portugal, Ireland, Vietnam, and Zambia.

Because of the unrest in Haiti, their participation is surprising. The team wasn’t able to practice in their own country – they had to go to the Dominican Republic – due to the high levels of gang violence and criminal activity in Haiti right now.

Spain took home the championship with a 1-0 win against England in the final. It was Spain’s first time winning, as well as the first time a European nation has won since 2007.

The winning goal of this match was scored by Olga Carmona, who learned about the death of her father that same day. Carmona shared on social media that it was “the best and worst day of [her] life,” and paid tribute to her father for giving her the strength she needed in the tournament.

Image credit: Justin Setterfield/ nbc4i.com

Going into the tournament, the USA was favored to win this year’s WWC. Doing so would have made them the only team, men or women, to win three consecutive World Cup titles. Unfortunately, the USA women had an early exit from the Cup. They played a close match but suffered a shootout loss to Sweden in the Round of 16, which is also the earliest they’ve been knocked out of any previous Cup.

The US Women’s National team (in white) playing against Sweden (yellow). Image credit: William West/ npr.org

Some fans credit their poor performance to the coach, Vlatko Andonovski, who had no experience coaching at the professional level. One of his previous accomplishments with the team is leading them to a bronze medal in the 2020 Olympics. This was seen as a disaster to some since the USA usually got gold. Just a few weeks after USA’s loss in the WWC, Andonovski resigned.

The next WWC will be in 2027, and the host country is yet to be announced.