Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

Madden Rauschs view of the game.
Kansas City Sports Fan Review:
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

As some of you know, I was able to have the opportunity to see Sporting Kansas City play at Arrowhead Stadium against Inter Miami. I must say,...

The Unseen Perspective cover photo. Credit: Mara Jane/The Unseen Perspective
The Unseen Perspective
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024

Mara Jane is a senior at St. James Academy in Lenexa. She will be majoring in Biochemistry at K-State starting in the fall of 2024. She recently...

American Gangster (2007) - Organized Crime Beyond the Mafia
April 22, 2024

(Content warning for discussions of organized crime, drug trafficking, substance abuse, and racism.) With dozens of iconic films in its...

Jaylon Thompson’s article on Yahoo Sports
Royals on an Impressive Start: Can they keep up?
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Small sample size so far in the season. And the shock to many, the Royals are off to a flying start. Currently, Kansas City is in second place...

Pre Season Spring Sports!

Pre season spring sports in Bonner Springs.
Isaiah Adcox

Track

Starting with arguably the most popular spring sport in Bonner Springs, we have track and field. Athletes are training with Coach Mays every Tuesday and Thursday of the week. They are actively busy from 3:15 to 4:15 training. Bonner Springs is getting ready to put on a show because our seniors are training and going for some records!

Boys Golf

Boys Golf Mr. Walker has scheduled hitting days so players can hit into nets just to keep their swing rhythm while not being able to hit the course. He wants people to be as fit as possible for the upcoming season. As far as the season goes it will officially start on March 4th. Mr. Walker states, “We do some off-season work. We will have about three weeks of practice before our first tournament on March 28th at Sunflower Hills Golf Course here in Bonner Springs.”  Practices will consist of range work, playing the course, and working on the short game. 

Boys Tennis

Many exciting things are happening here in Bonner Springs. The biggest news of the season is that we will be playing on six brand-new courts. The new facility looks incredible right now, with the surface being orange and gray. Coach Congo says “We have four courts with lights, which is a game changer for matches. The new courts will bring a buzz to the season that will pump everyone up and hopefully attract players that weren’t sure if they wanted to join the team or not.”  Coach Dow and Coach Congo are really excited about the upcoming season. It starts on Monday the 26th of February and they will have a few weeks of practice to get in a solid routine before matches start after spring break. Many of last year’s students graduated, so they are starting from scratch at the varsity level. We’re returning state qualifier Ethan Cook, a senior,  who is going to have his hands full helping the younger players figure out how to play varsity-level tennis. He’s a great leader, and the coaches are excited to see him in action this season. Overall we are looking forward to teaching a new group of athletes the game of tennis and seeing where they can take it this season. 

Baseball and Softball

Since November of last year, many students have been conditioning and working hard every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 6 in the morning to train for the baseball season. The students are working hard, and putting dedication into their exercises. Seniors Caden Campbell and Nathan Gandy, and juniors Eden Mayers, and Xavier Rangoza have been showing their excellence, showing great leadership to the team and others who will be essential for the team’s success. They are becoming the leaders that Bonner Springs needs. Their first season match will be on Saturday, March 23, 2024, against Shawnee Miss North. The coaches hope to see as many fans as possible! As for softball, there is also some conditioning, but not much has been going on. Many people are ready for the new season, hoping to have a better season than last year. 

Girls Soccer

Girls Soccer is currently in conditioning, along with many of the other spring sports. However, unlike baseball, soccer’s conditioning only happens on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, from 3:15 to 4:00. The girls are excited to play and have been working to see who is in shape for varsity and who is in JV. The tryouts are soon starting on Monday, the 26th, at 4:00 pm, with the coach expecting them to be there by 3:45. The coach is pushing his players to get into the best condition possible before the start of the season. 

If you are interested in playing any spring sports for Bonner Springs, Be sure to turn in your physical by February 23rd, 2024!