Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

Image Credit: Emily Ranquist/Pexels
Class of 2024 Post-Graduation Plans
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024

There are many different options that graduating seniors can choose to pursue after high school, including a four-year college, a junior college,...

(Drake/Aubrey Graham and Kendrick Lamar)
Kendrick vs. Drake - What Diss is the Best So Far?
Charlotte Dykes, Staff Writer • May 7, 2024

The ongoing feud between superstar hip-hop artists Aubrey Graham, more commonly known by his stage name Drake, and Kendrick Lamar has swept the...

Image credit: Nomadtinyhomes.com
All About the Tiny House Movement
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

Tiny houses, which are houses that typically have a square footage of 400 square feet or less, have exploded in popularity in recent years, and...

Madden Rauschs view of the game.
Kansas City Sports Fan Review:
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

As some of you know, I was able to have the opportunity to see Sporting Kansas City play at Arrowhead Stadium against Inter Miami. I must say,...

Judge in Florida Declines Change of State law in Florida

Photo: Diego M. Radzinschi/ALM
Photo:Diego M. Radzinschi/ Law.com

On Thursday, August 17, 2023, U.S. District Judge Allen Winsor revoked a proposal by four Chinese nationalists to block a law in the State of Florida that restricts the act of purchasing or owning any type of property in the state of Florida for Chinese or other citizens from “countries of concern”. This law only applies to individuals who are not American citizens, or green card holders who still claim their home country as their place of residence. Other countries’ citizens that fall upon are Syria, Cuba, Iran, Venezuela, Russia, and North Korea. Also applying to people who are not originally from these countries but who are citizens. The law was signed last May by Republican Presidential hopeful, Governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis who stated that this law is intended to protect U.S. citizens from the influence of the Communist party.

There is one loophole for citizens of these countries, however. Non-tourist visa holders are allowed to own properties anywhere outside of a 5-mile perimeter of any military properties or critical infrastructure.

Judge Allen Winsor told reporters that the ban likely does not violate the U.S. Constitution or any laws banning housing discrimination due to the law being based on citizenship and not race or national origin. However, this law was claimed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to violate the U.S. Constitution’s guarantees of equal protection and due process and the federal Fair Housing Act (FHA). This claim was agreed with by the Biden administration who filed a brief stating that the law violates the FHA. With the decision to sustain the law, the plaintiff’s lawyer, American Civil Liberties Union’s own staff attorney Ashley Gorski said that the group will appeal.