Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

HOUSTON, TEXAS - JANUARY 8: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines celebrates after defeating the Washington Huskies 34-13 in the 2024 CFP National Championship game at NRG Stadium on January 8, 2024 in Houston, Texas. (Photo by Jamie Schwaberow/Getty Images)
NCAA 25 Football Video Game: Will it be worthwhile?
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

For the first time since 2014, EA Sports is releasing a college sports video game. They have not been able to due to NCAA rules, where players...

Photo Credit: The Infinite Taylorverse Podcast
Part-Time Podcaster
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

Do you have a passion that you and your friends could talk about for hours? Would you love to make money from talking about your interests? That’s...

(Johnny Got His Gun poster)
Johnny Got His Gun (1971): A Dark Horror Classic With a Cult Following
Charlotte Dykes, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

(Content warning for topics such as war, fates worse than death, and severe injury. This review does not contain ending spoilers.)  Albeit...

Pre Season Spring Sports!
Pre Season Spring Sports!
Isaac Gomez, Staff Writer • February 26, 2024

Track Starting with arguably the most popular spring sport in Bonner Springs, we have track and field. Athletes are training with Coach Mays...

Breaking Barriers: The First Two Women Golfers in Bonner Springs History

via David Walker

One of the newest programs at Bonner Springs High School is already making big strides in its early days as a program. Senior Abby Schram and Junior Brenna McGrath qualified for state on October 10th, 2023 a very impressive accomplishment for only being the program’s second season. It really shows you that hard work and dedication can lead you to. 

They went to state on October 16th and just missed out on the second day. They had put up relatively the same score as they had in qualifiers which means if they hadn’t had an off day, the competition is pretty tough, and making it is a massive achievement. As a part of this school we are proud to say we have some very talented girls golfers not just the two who had made it to state. Now we have a few questions to answer from Abby Schram, the senior highlight who kickstarted and leads the program.

Making it to the state is a big accomplishment, and Abby knows this. She said, “It is such an amazing experience knowing that no other girl has accomplished this goal and that Brenna and I are the first to go to state for girls’ golf from Bonner.” She also said that it’ll be historically impactful saying “This will hopefully inspire other girls to go out for golf and to just enjoy and have fun while getting to play the different courses that are offered.” As a senior, she is a big leader on the team and believes “The goal is to grow the program and to return to state for years to come and go out there and be team leaders.”

For those wondering about the statistics from qualifiers, Abby Schram had a 106 in qualifiers and a 107 in the state. And Brenna McGrath had a 105 in qualifiers and a 115 in state. This was a learning experience coming in as underdogs to the competition, and even though it wasn’t the result they wanted they should be proud of themselves for the way they play. Even though it is Brenna’s second to last year and Abby’s final year, their impact will last for a long time.