Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

Madden Rauschs view of the game.
Kansas City Sports Fan Review:
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

As some of you know, I was able to have the opportunity to see Sporting Kansas City play at Arrowhead Stadium against Inter Miami. I must say,...

The Unseen Perspective cover photo. Credit: Mara Jane/The Unseen Perspective
The Unseen Perspective
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024

Mara Jane is a senior at St. James Academy in Lenexa. She will be majoring in Biochemistry at K-State starting in the fall of 2024. She recently...

American Gangster (2007) - Organized Crime Beyond the Mafia
April 22, 2024

(Content warning for discussions of organized crime, drug trafficking, substance abuse, and racism.) With dozens of iconic films in its...

Jaylon Thompson’s article on Yahoo Sports
Royals on an Impressive Start: Can they keep up?
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Small sample size so far in the season. And the shock to many, the Royals are off to a flying start. Currently, Kansas City is in second place...

College Football is beating the NFL

(AP Photo/Michelle Haas Hutchins)

Football as a whole in the United States is a very big deal. For example, some people watch the NFL because of where they’re from like the Kansas City Chiefs or Jacksonville Jaguars. Others sometimes just support the team that’s good at the moment like the Detroit Lions. But when it comes to college sports, most people support their hometown team. Like the Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence or the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lincoln. Currently, I would say college football is much better entertainment than the NFL. 

#1 Quality of Play:

The overall football in college has just been better than the NFL. The games are intense and have highlights that are awe-inspiring throughout the duration of said game. From big players like Travis Hunter making one-handed interceptions to Jalen Milroe throwing touchdown passes to win against Auburn. It has something to watch whether you track the teams playing or not. And the upsets that happen from time to time also make it even better. #1 Michigan being upset by Appalachian State, Kansas beating Texas, and many more along the way. The only downside is it’s hard to get attached because players only stay for three to four years before graduation or entry into the NFL draft. But it makes those players’ stats and accomplishments more meaningful in that little time.

#2 It means more:

Now I’m not saying people care so much about their NFL teams, because really they do. But when you’re in that college town atmosphere with people you know in your home it just means more. You will obviously care more about your college instead about an NFL team. Not saying that this is obviously true but it definitely hits home for people like myself. This season I have tracked more of Jayhawks football than the Chiefs, one they finished 8-4 for the first time since 2009. And it has that connection with me in the state of Kansas.

#3 It’s affordable:

This is a big factor but the NFL is just really expensive nowadays, from $150 dollar tickets on regular season games to $10 nachos and $45 hats it’s just a money shredder at this point. I’m not saying the College Football experience is necessarily affordable, but it is definitely cheaper to go to games and buy stuff. A game at David Booth Memorial Stadium would be $30 dollar tickets, and at least $20 for food and beverage. Not specifically cheap but definitely worth what you’re paying for.