Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

Jaylon Thompson’s article on Yahoo Sports
Royals on an Impressive Start: Can they keep up?
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Small sample size so far in the season. And the shock to many, the Royals are off to a flying start. Currently, Kansas City is in second place...

Mr. Mellick - Craftsman On and Off Campus
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Mr. Mellick has been a teacher here at BSHS for almost ten years now, having started in the 2014-2015 school year, and has been very dedicated...

(AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee)
Inter Miami vs Sporting Kansas City:
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 8, 2024

As the date gets closer, Lionel Messi and Inter Miami will travel to Arrowhead Stadium to play a soccer game against Sporting Kansas City. This...

Dainan Whetstone
BSHS DUI Experience
Katelyn Fogelman, Editor • April 5, 2024

The BSHS Prom is this weekend and with that comes the concerns of students driving unsafely, such as driving under the influence of alcohol....

College Football is beating the NFL

(AP Photo/Michelle Haas Hutchins)

Football as a whole in the United States is a very big deal. For example, some people watch the NFL because of where they’re from like the Kansas City Chiefs or Jacksonville Jaguars. Others sometimes just support the team that’s good at the moment like the Detroit Lions. But when it comes to college sports, most people support their hometown team. Like the Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence or the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Lincoln. Currently, I would say college football is much better entertainment than the NFL. 

#1 Quality of Play:

The overall football in college has just been better than the NFL. The games are intense and have highlights that are awe-inspiring throughout the duration of said game. From big players like Travis Hunter making one-handed interceptions to Jalen Milroe throwing touchdown passes to win against Auburn. It has something to watch whether you track the teams playing or not. And the upsets that happen from time to time also make it even better. #1 Michigan being upset by Appalachian State, Kansas beating Texas, and many more along the way. The only downside is it’s hard to get attached because players only stay for three to four years before graduation or entry into the NFL draft. But it makes those players’ stats and accomplishments more meaningful in that little time.

#2 It means more:

Now I’m not saying people care so much about their NFL teams, because really they do. But when you’re in that college town atmosphere with people you know in your home it just means more. You will obviously care more about your college instead about an NFL team. Not saying that this is obviously true but it definitely hits home for people like myself. This season I have tracked more of Jayhawks football than the Chiefs, one they finished 8-4 for the first time since 2009. And it has that connection with me in the state of Kansas.

#3 It’s affordable:

This is a big factor but the NFL is just really expensive nowadays, from $150 dollar tickets on regular season games to $10 nachos and $45 hats it’s just a money shredder at this point. I’m not saying the College Football experience is necessarily affordable, but it is definitely cheaper to go to games and buy stuff. A game at David Booth Memorial Stadium would be $30 dollar tickets, and at least $20 for food and beverage. Not specifically cheap but definitely worth what you’re paying for.