Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

Madden Rauschs view of the game.
Kansas City Sports Fan Review:
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

As some of you know, I was able to have the opportunity to see Sporting Kansas City play at Arrowhead Stadium against Inter Miami. I must say,...

The Unseen Perspective cover photo. Credit: Mara Jane/The Unseen Perspective
The Unseen Perspective
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024

Mara Jane is a senior at St. James Academy in Lenexa. She will be majoring in Biochemistry at K-State starting in the fall of 2024. She recently...

American Gangster (2007) - Organized Crime Beyond the Mafia
April 22, 2024

(Content warning for discussions of organized crime, drug trafficking, substance abuse, and racism.) With dozens of iconic films in its...

Jaylon Thompson’s article on Yahoo Sports
Royals on an Impressive Start: Can they keep up?
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Small sample size so far in the season. And the shock to many, the Royals are off to a flying start. Currently, Kansas City is in second place...

Super Bowl 58: Mahomes is Purdy Good

AP Photo/Jed Jacobsohn
AP Photo/Jed Jacobsohn

The NFL Playoffs have come and gone, with mixed games. Some have been good and others have been near unwatchable. An outcome predicted before the season is still crazy to think happened. Both teams are dancing through the raindrops, continuing to make mistakes but getting bailed out by talent or sheer luck. Whether football fans want this or not is to be determined, here’s your two finalists for the Super Bowl.

Kansas City Chiefs:

The championship defense has been very rough sledding for the Chiefs. However, it seems the concerns before the postseason have been well overestimated. Which means new issues are afoot. Yes, the issues of wide-receiver drops are still there but it seems as if they’ve gotten to be better. Marques Valdes-Scantling and Rashee Rice have been a quality duo in the playoffs so far. It does sting a tiny bit that Kadarius Toney has been out, but not as bad as you think since Toney was on a cold streak beforehand. Travis Kelce has been catching fire this postseason despite a lackluster regular season. As long as Mahomes is healthy, this offense will be just fine. As long as they are not wasting drives.

Even though the offense has had its struggles, the defense has completely picked up the slack. One of the best in football this season by far. Chris Jones and L’Jarius Sneed are wrecking offenses. So far in the playoffs they’ve only given up an average of 14 points a game. Stopping Tua Tagoviola in the Ice Bowl, Josh Allen in Buffalo, and completely shutting down Baltimore as well. Shows that the Chiefs are the most complete team in the NFL and it’ll take a ton of effort to stop them.

San Francisco 49ers:

The 49ers completely stumbled into the Super Bowl. Every game they were down to their last legs and decided to remember how to play football again and win it close. But in the second half, they just clicked like we know they can. Their problem is they can’t play a complete 60-minute game. You’d think would be terrible coming up in the Super Bowl, but it’s not the worst thing possible if you think you can win. Brock Purdy, their quarterback, still shows growing pains in his second season but can lead efficiently. I have a hunch their offensive success is more on their receivers than the QB. Christian McCaffrey is an MVP candidate at running back, Deebo Samuel is a borderline top-10 wide receiver, and George Kittle is a top-5 tight end as well. Near any QB worth their talent could succeed with these players. And I haven’t even mentioned the best offensive lineman in the league Trent Williams in the trenches.

The defense for this team is also quality, nearly up to par with KC’s. Nick Bosa and Chase Young on a defensive line will give an offensive line a very tough day, not to mention their vast depth. Their linebacker core is also very deep with Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw. They have a lot on their plate though against Mahomes. In a game against Baltimore, they couldn’t contain the offensive talent of Lamar Jackson. They hopefully want to believe that was just a bad game. If they could contain the passing game then that’s the key to victory for them.

Super Bowl Predictions:

It’s going to be a very intriguing game. I believe that both teams will have their moments and it’s the type of game that whoever has the ball last will win. I think the Chiefs will win in Las Vegas though. Their defense will force Purdy into mistakes and Mahomes can just throw deep balls to Rashee Rice and Travis Kelce, with a sprinkle of angry running by Isiah Pacheco. I don’t think it’ll be a walk in the park though, it will be very intense. The Chiefs would be the first team to win back-to-back Super Bowls since Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. Which would be fitting as they’re the new NFL dynasty.