Breaking News
The School News Site of Bonner Springs High School

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

The Pow Wow

Madden Rauschs view of the game.
Kansas City Sports Fan Review:
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 25, 2024

As some of you know, I was able to have the opportunity to see Sporting Kansas City play at Arrowhead Stadium against Inter Miami. I must say,...

The Unseen Perspective cover photo. Credit: Mara Jane/The Unseen Perspective
The Unseen Perspective
Lyra Thompson, Staff Writer • April 22, 2024

Mara Jane is a senior at St. James Academy in Lenexa. She will be majoring in Biochemistry at K-State starting in the fall of 2024. She recently...

American Gangster (2007) - Organized Crime Beyond the Mafia
April 22, 2024

(Content warning for discussions of organized crime, drug trafficking, substance abuse, and racism.) With dozens of iconic films in its...

Jaylon Thompson’s article on Yahoo Sports
Royals on an Impressive Start: Can they keep up?
Madden Rausch, Staff Writer • April 15, 2024

Small sample size so far in the season. And the shock to many, the Royals are off to a flying start. Currently, Kansas City is in second place...

Mental Health Night: The Festivities and Games

@zayadcox on Instagram

On January 3rd, 2024 the first day back from break, Jenna Barrett and ZeroReasonWhy partnered together to create a mental health night at Braves Fieldhouse. The festivities they had were snapshots of support, where friends and such can take photos and put them onto the wall after the fact. They also had friendship bracelets and a raffle giveaway with hundreds of dollars worth of prizes such as Beats and Dr. Squatch because of the overwhelming support they had. Here’s an interview with Jenna Barrett as we ask her a couple of questions about the night.

How did ZeroReasonWhy and you have the chance to create an event?

Barrett: I first learned from going to a leadership camp in Manhattan, and was ZeroReasonWhy and was very impressed with the club, decided to join, and entered the board. Mrs. Rausch worked on the event with Mr. Davis (ZeroReasonWhy teen board marketer) and worked on the success.

How do you personally feel about the success of the event?

Barrett: I was really happy, but nervous going in and it went very well. There were a ton of very encouraging students and it was great to see everyone involved. 

Could this happen again in the future?

Barrett: Yes. Definitely, I would love to see it bigger in the future!

Bonner Springs boys and girls basketball played the Gardner-Edgerton Blazers, which was a major game since Bonner Springs is 5A and Gardner-Edgerton is 6A.  Last year, the girls won and the boys lost. This year it was the opposite, the girls lost in a tough game 40-55. They tried to get stuff going but it, unfortunately, wasn’t enough, they did rebound against Paola 42-33 however. 

However, there were a lot of big plays in the boys game. Bonner won 48-45 with a great showing at home after getting thrashed by Topeka High. It was always a close game, both teams would trade points and would be within a possession game and it was always that as it was 25-23 at halftime. They’d continue to fight with Bonner getting a big lead but then with some time left Gardner tied it up. After a turnover with a few seconds left, Gardner went down and had a shot and missed it. Kalen Streit, with the rebound, goes down the court with six seconds left he puts the entire team on his back and drains a three-pointer at the buzzer with the Blazers stunned. With Orange Crush members rushing the court signifying the night as one of the most memorable in Braves history.

The boys’ team also ended up beating Paola, convincingly. We do have stats for both games as leading scorer Kalen Streit averaged 17.5 points in the last few games. Another star player on this team is forward Jermain Wilson, he’s a very versatile player and a great leader on the team. We have an interview with him as well.

How do you think this season has gone so far with the boys’ team?

Wilson: It’s going well this year. We are a very strong team.

How does it feel knowing that this is your last year with BSHS Hoops?

Wilson: It’s sad and crazy to think that this is my last year playing basketball for the Braves i will miss playing for the Braves I love the fans all love for Bonner Springs.

Are you guys ready for the upcoming challenges in the schedule?

Wilson: Yes we are for the rest of the season we will be undefeated and giving Bonner Springs something to remember.

Bonner as of January 29th is 9-4 and currently slated to host sub-state again on the boy’s side. The girls team is currently 6-7 and fighting hard to finish the season on a high note.